Two men killed, woman critical and two children wounded during 12-hour gun violence outbreak in Philadelphia

N. Franklin Street HomicidePolice investigate the scene after a 23-year-old man was shot and killed Saturday afternoon in the Olney section of Philadelphia. Photographs for the Gun Crisis Reporting Project by Joseph Kaczmarek.

N. Franklin Street HomicideAccording to investigators, police responded to calls for gunfire at 3:40 p.m. and found the victim on North Franklin Street near West Rockland Street, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to the head. Medics pronounced him dead on location a short time later.

CBS3 and 6ABC have brief reports.

Within the next 12 hours, a second man was killed, a woman was critically wounded and two children were also shot in a violent outbreak which doubled the combined total of homicide victims and gunshot survivors reported during the first few days of 2014 in Philadelphia.

Slideshow: Police investigate homicide scene on North Franklin Street. Photographs for the Gun Crisis Reporting Project by Joseph Kaczmarek.

A 15-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy were reported in stable condition at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia after they were shot at about 10:45 p.m. Saturday at a home on South 58th Street near Florence Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia.

Police said that two gunmen knocked on the door as the victims were watching the
watching the Eagles playoff game with two more teens — and then opened fire as the children came to answer — according to an NBC10 report. 6ABC reported that police were looking for two men wearing ski masks.

(UPDATE: A later post from NBC10 now reports that an arrest has been made, and updates the ages of the victims to include an 11-year-old boy and 16-year-old girl.)

A 26-year-old woman was listed in critical condition after she was shot in the head shortly before 3:30 a.m. Sunday inside a home on Unity Street near Penn Street in the Frankford section of the city. Police were questioning a man, according to a 6ABC report.

(UPDATE: 6ABC is now reporting that 36-year-old Roger Morrison was taken into custody and charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and other offenses.)

Finally, a 27-year-old man was shot and killed just before 3:30 a.m. on North Marshall Street, near West Nedro Avenue and North 6th Street in Olney, about a mile from the afternoon homicide scene.

As we previously reported, Philadelphia’s first two homicide victims of 2014 were found inside a burning home late Thursday night in Juniata Park, both with gunshot wounds to the head. Another woman was shot in the head in Friday night in South Philadelphia.

The city’s first two gunshot victims of 2014 were reported in stable condition following separate New Year’s Day incidents.

Please share your ideas to stop the shooting in our community by using the #phillypeaceplan hash tag when communicating on social media:

The Gun Crisis Reporting Project is an award-winning, independent, nonprofit journalism community striving to illuminate the epidemic of homicide by gunfire in Philadelphia — and to find solutions.

But we need your help. Click to see how your tax-deductible contribution can support our volunteer staff.


Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on TumblrShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone

One thought

  1. Senseless. . . no reason. Sounds random, killing for its own sake. “At best” ( a lousy phrase for it), gang initiation.

Comments are closed.