Several men have been shot this weekend in separate Philadelphia incidents, and more victims have been reported across the region. Violent outbreaks emerged this week in Chicago and Memphis, while additional shootings have been reported across the U.S.
Philadelphia updates:In Philadelphia, police rushed a 55-year-old man to Einstein Medical Center Saturday night, but he was pronounced dead a short time later, after he was shot in the chest, abdomen and legs shortly after 9 p.m. on North Uber Street, near 65th and Ogontz Avenues in the West Oak Lane section of the city. According to police, the victim was walking on the street when a gunman approached and fired several shots. NBC10 reported that no arrests were made.
Police rushed an 18-year-old man to Temple University Hospital, where he was reported stable after he was shot in the hand shortly before midnight Saturday on North 6th Street near West Lycoming Street in the Hunting Park section of Philadelphia.
Philadelphia police shot a man they say tried to get an officer's gun during a struggle shortly before midnight at Media and North Conestoga Streets, near 55th Street in the Carroll Park section of West Philadelphia, according to 6ABC. NBC10 added that the man was hospitalized in critical condition.
On Friday night, a 31-year-old man was critically wounded in a shooting on North 5th Street near Erie Avenue in Hunting Park. Police said the man was shot when two suspects robbed him of his dirt bike, according to reports from the Philadelphia Daily News, CBS3, 6ABC, and NBC10.
A postal worker had a close call Saturday when a shooter began firing while he was delivering mail in North Philadelphia, according to an NBC10 report. Police have released another surveillance video, seeking the suspect wanted for a robbery last week in Hunting Park.
Court records show that Hector Echevarria pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and a weapons violation last week in the death of William Hopkins, 19, according to a Philadelphia Daily News report which added that Echevarria previously told the newspaper that the shotgun killing was an accident.
Pennsylvania report:The lawyer for a Pennsylvania bride accused of killing her niece after the wedding last week says the fatal shooting was an accident, according to an Associated Press report at pennlive.com. Authorities in central Pennsylvania say a man shot and killed his elderly mother before turning the gun upon himself Thursday, according to philly.com.
Three teenaged boys are accused of shooting a pet donkey on the farm of an Amish family in Lycoming County, according to wnep.com, which added that the boys were charged Thursday, about a week after the incident. Police and the FBI are looking for two men who staged a bank robbery in Thursday in Glenside, according to philly.com.
A 19-year-old Harrisburg man was convicted Friday morning in a fatal 2013 drive-by shooting that killed the wrong man, according to pennlive.com, which also reported that one man was taken to the hospital after a new shooting early Friday morning in Harrisburg.
Police were investigating reports of shot fired between cars Friday night in Caln Township, in Chester County, according to dailylocal.com.
News Jersey news:Atlantic City Police arrested a man and recovered a gun Friday night, after responding to an alert from the ShotSpotter gunshot detention system, according to a report from pressofatlanticcity.com. Another Atlantic City man was sentenced to 38 years for a 2012 shooting, and two Philadelphia men were in court related to 2013 shooting in Atlantic City, according to additional pressofatlanticcity.com reports.
A Camden man has been charged with attempted murder for allegedly shooting at officers in the city Friday night, according to courierpostonline.com, which also reported that a teen was shot to death in the city's Fairview section Friday afternoon. Fourteen people have been murdered this year in Camden, according to a tweet from Camden’s S.T.O.P. community group.
- Atlanta: Prosecutor among 2 people wounded in shooting
- Baltimore: 17-year-old youth leader laid to rest
- California: Shooting victim wanders onto Stockton elementary playground
- Charlotte: 7-year-old girl hit in drive-by shooting
- Chicago: Wave of shootings leaves 4 dead, 26 wounded since Friday afternoon
- Chicago: Despite bloody weekend, murder rate is down, chief says
- Florida: Family says man shot daughter, tried to shoot wife
- Florida: Officer shot, suspect caught
- Florida: Pregnant woman shot in stomach
- Indianapolis: 3 injured after shooting on northeast side
- Kansas: Driver reports shooting on I-70
- Memphis: 10-year-old girl shot by brother
- Memphis: 7-year-old finds parents shot to death; investigators rule it 'double homicide'
- Memphis: Arrest made in shooting that killed two
- Michigan: Lansing boy, 2, accidentally shot by father
- Ohio: Boy, 4, shoots 7-year-old
- San Diego: 1 wounded, 1 dead in shooting at North Park marijuana dispensary
Posted by Jim MacMillan.
Using GunCrisis.org:If you need to find help or would like to lend your support, please look into the organizations listed under our Network tab at left. If you would like us to add your group to our list, please email us.
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: (215) 882-9867
- Raise your voice on GunCrisis.org
- Lend your ideas to the #phillypeaceplan
- Recent Posts from GunCrisis.org
- Philadelphia and regional alerts on Twitter @GunCrisisNews
- National incidents and issues on Twitter @GunCrisisUS
- Follow the #GunCrisis hashtag
- Like Facebook/guncrisis to get our posts in your news feed
- Circle us at Google+
- Subscribe for free to get every post
- Subscribe to our free monthly email newsletter
- Subscribe for free incident text alerts
- Listen to Philadelphia Police radio online
- Search GunCrisis.org at the bottom of any individual post.
The Gun Crisis Reporting Project is an award-winning, independent, nonprofit journalism community striving to illuminate the epidemic of homicide by gunfire in Philadelphia — and to find solutions.