After a violent first week of May, followed by two murders to start the weekend, Philadelphia got through Mother’s Day with no gunshot victims reported. But a fatal shooting came within the first few minutes of Monday.
Latest reports:Medics pronounced a 29-year-old man dead at the scene after he was shot just after midnight on Magnolia Street, near East Washington Lane in the East Germantown section of Philadelphia. According to police, they responded to 911 calls reporting a shooting just after midnight and arrived to find the victim suffering from at least one gunshot wound to the head.
Police said family members inside reported hearing a knock at the door and that the victim was looking through the peephole when someone fired from outside. During the investigation, a man who identified himself to police as the victim's brother attempted to push past officers.
Police are also investigating a home invasion robbery during which a victim was pistol-whipped early Monday on Vista Street in Northeast Philadelphia, according to a report from CBS3.
Center City gunfire:Philadelphia Police were investigating Saturday evening after gunshots struck a car carrying a woman and baby, following an apparent road rage incident in Center City. 6ABC reported and posted a photo of the damaged car on Twitter:
— Action News on 6abc (@6abc) May 11, 2014
Cost of Violence conference begins:Mothers in Charge, a violence prevention, education and intervention organization in Philadelphia, will host the second annual Cost of Violence National Conference beginning Monday in Philadelphia. CBS Philly had a preview.
Police seeking suspect:Philadelphia Police have released surveillance video, hoping to identify the suspect wanted for a recent robbery in the Mill Creek section of West Philadelphia:
Regional report:The Garden State Mall in Paramus, NJ, was evacuated Saturday night after shoppers were panicked by noises mistaken for gunshots, according to nj.com.
Police have made an arrest in connection with the shooting of an 8-year-old boy Friday in Chester County, Pa., according to timesherald.com.
Police reported three people in custody after a gunpoint robbery in Lansdale, Pa., Friday afternoon, according to another timesherald.com report.
In the Poconos, a dog is recovering from a shotgun blast, according to mcall.com.
- Sacramento: Shooting at 1-year-old's birthday party leaves man dead, 6 people hurt
- Kansas: 1 man dead after shooting at Mother's Day cookout
- Oregon: North Portland father fatally shot 4-year-old daughter before killing self, police say
- Indianapolis: Man slain; 3 others injured in shootings
- Texas: 2 Killeen police officers injured in shooting
- Texas: Two dead after triple shooting in Fort Worth
Posted by Jim MacMillan.
Using GunCrisis.org:If you need to find help or would like to lend your support, please look into the organizations listed under our Network tab at left. If you would like us to add your group to our list, please email us.
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: (215) 882-9867
- Raise your voice on GunCrisis.org
- Lend your ideas to the #phillypeaceplan
- Recent Posts from GunCrisis.org
- Philadelphia and regional alerts on Twitter @GunCrisisNews
- National incidents and issues on Twitter @GunCrisisUS
- Follow the #GunCrisis hashtag
- Like Facebook/guncrisis to get our posts in your news feed
- Circle us at Google+
- Subscribe for free to get every post
- Subscribe to our free monthly email newsletter
- Subscribe for free incident text alerts
- Listen to Philadelphia Police radio online
- Search GunCrisis.org at the bottom of any individual post.