A young man who identified himself as related to the victim watches police investigate the homicide scene on Watkins Street. Photograph for the Gun Crisis Reporting Project by Joseph Kaczmarek.
An unidentified 19-year-old man was fatally wounded in a shooting reported just after 5 p.m. Wednesday on Watkins Street, near 5th and Morris Streets in the Southwark section of South Philadelphia.
Police rushed the victim to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, but he did not survive. He had been shot in the back of his neck, police said.
Police gather evidence on the crime scene. Photograph for the Gun Crisis Reporting Project by Joseph Kaczmarek.
Investigators said they found 29 fired shell casings from two different caliber handguns, and that the incident may have been retaliation for a shooting earlier this month.
Posted by Jim MacMillan.
If you need to find help or would like to lend your support, please look into the organizations listed under our Network tab at left. If you would like us to add your group to our list, please email us.
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: (215) 882-9867
- Raise your voice on GunCrisis.org
- Lend your ideas to the #phillypeaceplan
- Recent Posts from GunCrisis.org
- Philadelphia and regional alerts on Twitter @GunCrisisNews
- National incidents and issues on Twitter @GunCrisisUS
- Follow the #GunCrisis hashtag
- Like Facebook/guncrisis to get our posts in your news feed
- Circle us at Google+
- Subscribe for free to get every post
- Subscribe to our free monthly email newsletter
- Subscribe for free incident text alerts
- Listen to Philadelphia Police radio online
- Search GunCrisis.org at the bottom of any individual post.
The Gun Crisis Reporting Project is an award-winning, independent, nonprofit journalism community striving to illuminate the epidemic of homicide by gunfire in Philadelphia — and to find solutions.