At the Gun Crisis Reporting Project, we followed 97 shooting incidents which left 115 people wounded or killed in Philadelphia during September, 2014, based on original reporting, media reports, police officials and other sources.
Ten double shootings and one triple shooting were reported, as well as two incidents in which four people were shot. Twenty people were pronounced dead on the same day they were shot and another 29 were initially reported in critical condition.
One day passed with no shooting victim reports but 13 people were shot on the following day.
The youngest victim was a nine-year-old boy with a graze wound — and four victims were 60 years of age or older. The average age of the shooting victims we could identify was just under 30.
Last month’s shooting victim total represented a 15 percent increase in shooting victims when compared with those we reported in August.
Notes: The totals above excludes deaths recorded during the month but categorized without cause of death as suspicious, sudden, found remains or self-inflicted.
Posted by Jim MacMillan.
If you need to find help or would like to lend your support, please look into the organizations listed under our Network tab at left. If you would like us to add your group to our list, please email us.
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: (215) 882-9867
- Raise your voice on GunCrisis.org
- Lend your ideas to the #phillypeaceplan
- Recent Posts from GunCrisis.org
- Philadelphia and regional alerts on Twitter @GunCrisisNews
- National incidents and issues on Twitter @GunCrisisUS
- Follow the #GunCrisis hashtag
- Like Facebook/guncrisis to get our posts in your news feed
- Circle us at Google+
- Subscribe for free to get every post
- Subscribe to our free monthly email newsletter
- Subscribe for free incident text alerts
- Listen to Philadelphia Police radio online
- Search GunCrisis.org at the bottom of any individual post.
The Gun Crisis Reporting Project is an award-winning, independent, nonprofit journalism community striving to illuminate the epidemic of homicide by gunfire in Philadelphia — and to find solutions.