— Peace Day Philly (@peacedayphilly) August 6, 2014
Philadelphia community groups have collaborated to plan a rally for peace, security and children tonight at LOVE Park. Click the headline for more information.
A prayer vigil to end gun violence is scheduled for tonight in the Rhawnhurst section of Northeast Philadelphia. The event will also open the latest installation of the Memorial to the Lost, a public display which includes one tee shirt remembering each of the 201 citizens of Philadelphia killed by gun violence during 2013. Click the headline to get more information.
Even with three four and five people shot in recent Philadelphia incidents, including a three-year-old girl who was fatally wounded in Grays Ferry, and the deaths of three more children after a gunpoint carjacking in North Philadelphia, we can’t find much local media reporting in advance of tonight’s National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime.”
But the community isn’t waiting to take action. Click the headline to see how you can get involved.
Above: Gun violence survivor Ebony Smith and her grandmother Linda Smith watch as police investigate a fatal shooting in the Overbrook section of Philadelphia. Photograph for the Gun Crisis Reporting Project by Joseph Kaczmarek.
- Weekend report: 07.11.14 / 07.13.14 — Shootings leave two dead and five wounded in Philadelphia
- Daily Report: 07.11.14 — Philadelphia shootings leave man dead, two critically wounded
- You can make a difference
- Daily Report: 07.10.14 — Six wounded in separate Philadelphia shootings
- Philadelphia stays ahead of Chicago’s homicide rate through first 26 weeks of 2014
- Daily Report: 07.09.14 — No shooting victims reported
- Gun violence survivor watches homicide investigation Monday night in Overbrook
- Bucks County shooting leaves one dead and two wounded early Tuesday
- Daily Report: 07.08.14 — Two shooting victims reported
- Thursday night: Lisa Ling and Our America look at activists fighting gun violence in Philadelphia
- Daily Report: 07.07.14 — Man killed in Overbrook, another wounded in Strawberry Mansion
- #GunCrisis: Philadelphia Week in Review