Police gathered evidence at the scene after two men were struck in a shooting late Thursday night on West Cumberland Street near 11th Street in the Hartranft section of Philadelphia. According to investigators, police responded to the block for a report of gunfire at about 11:30 p.m. and found a wounded 28-year-old man.
Officers rushed him to Hahnemann University Hospital where he was listed in critical condition with four gunshot wounds. Police said they were then called to a sixth floor residence at the PHA’s Fairhill Apartments, where they found a 27-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his right hip.
Medics rushed the second victim to Temple University Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. Eight fired shell casings were found in the street near the first victim, police said.
Thursday’s first shooting victim was wounded on a playground shortly before 2 p.m. at Dickinson Square, at Morris Street and Moyamensing Avenue in the Pennsport section of South Philadelphia. Medics rushed the 25-year-old man to Jefferson University Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition with a leg wound. CBS3 and 6ABC have reports.
Just after 2 p.m., a 24-year-old man was shot on Paschall Avenue near 53rd Street in Southwest Philadelphia. He was listed in stable condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. A 42-year-old man was listed in stable condition at Temple with a leg wound after he was shot just after 5 p.m. at Van Pelt and York Streets in North Philadelphia.
Several other gun violence reports came in from the across the city and region:
- Medics rushed a 55-year-old man to Einstein Medical Center with head wounds after he was pistol-whipped at Queen Lane and Pulaski Avenue, shortly before 1:30 p.m. in the Germantown section of the city.
- Police captured a suspect following the report of a man pulling a gun during an argument Thursday night inside a home on Montana Street near Chew Avenue in East Mount Airy.
- A gunman forced his way into a home and robbed a woman in Blakemore Street near Wister Street in East Germantown shortly before 2:30 a.m. Friday. 6ABC and NBC10 have reports.
- Armed robbers forced their way into a home after 3 a.m. Friday on Tasker Street near 20th in the Point Breeze section of South Philadelphia, making off with cash and other items.
- A cat had to be a euthanized after it was found to have suffered a gunshot wound Wednesday in the Lawndale section of Northeast Philadelphia, according to a report from 6ABC.
- NBC10 has a follow-up report on a Crescentville night club shooting we reported Monday.
- 6ABC also reported on fatal shootings Thursday in Camden, NJ, and Wilmington, Delaware.
- Shooting victims were also reported Thursday in Harrisburg and York, Pa., according to pennlive.com.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Friday morning on the long-term academic impact faced by children living in areas where homicides are committed, noting that the closer a homicide takes place to a child’s home, the more dramatically the child will be affected.
Posted by Jim MacMillan.